Family Favourites Fan Club

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Potato Pierogi

Go down

Potato Pierogi Empty Potato Pierogi

Post  sammyantha Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:38 am

I use to have the recipe written down somewhere from a polish lady i use to know. Can't find it for the life of me, probably at my mums house in a box somewhere with some other stuff in the garage lol

I personally love these fried in some butter with a bit of salt or chicken salt mmmmm yum nums.

Anyhow here is a recipe for it from allrecipes.com.au, and it's the closest one i could find to the way she use to make hers.

Pierogi (polish dumplings)

Photobucket

For the Potato Filling:

20g butter

1 small brown onion, chopped finely

2 cups cold mashed potatoes

1 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon white pepper

For the Dough:

3 eggs

250g sour cream

3 cups (450g) plain flour

1/4 teaspoon salt

1 tablespoon baking powder

2. For the potato filling: melt the butter in the same pan over medium heat. Cook the onion, stirring, about 5 minutes or until soft. Stir into the mashed potatoes; season with to taste with salt and pepper.

3. For the dough: beat together the eggs and sour cream in a large bowl until smooth. Sift together the flour, salt and baking powder; stir into the sour cream mixture until dough comes together. Knead the dough on a lightly floured surface until firm and smooth. Divide the dough in half, then roll out one half to 3mm thickness. Cut 8cm rounds from dough using a biscuit cutter.

4. Place a small spoonful of the mashed potato filling into the centre of each round. Moisten the edges with water, fold over, and press together with a fork to seal. Repeat with the remaining dough and the sauerkraut filling.

5. Bring a large saucepan of lightly salted water to the boil. Add perogies and cook for 3 to 5 minutes or until pierogi float to the top. Remove with a slotted spoon.
sammyantha
sammyantha

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum