Family Favourites Fan Club

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Use it or loose it... Best tips on how to use up left overs and veggies.

3 posters

Go down

Use it or loose it... Best tips on how to use up left overs and veggies.  Empty Use it or loose it... Best tips on how to use up left overs and veggies.

Post  LittleMissJen Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:02 am

I hate wasting good food. Whether it be left over's or vegetables that will go bad if left uneaten.

So i have a few tricks that may be usefull

Roasts are the best for left over's... my favourite way to use up left over roast meat, is to make souvalaki's the next night. All you need is some Lebanise bread, salad, tazilki dip and grated cheese. AWESOME!!! Good tip - finely slice your left over roast meat, sprinkle with a little salt, pepper, and oregano before re heating in a hot pan.

Another good way to use left over meat such as chicken, steak, etc.. cut it into strip, heat a little oil, add a little chilli and garlic, add you left over meat and reheat until hot. Serve with a little rice and steamed veggies.

Have vegetables that need to be used before they perish. . Your options are endless. But for a few quick ideas, try these:

load up your spaghetti sauce with extra veg.. grated carrot, zuccini, celery, mushrooms, capsicum, diced eggplant or chopped tomatoes - all go nicely in spag bol. ( ps : don't tell them it's in there and they will never know!! : D )

Vegetable pie : finely slice up some potatoes, pumpkin, zuccini, mushrooms, ( generaly what needs to be eaten. ) layer potatoes and pumpkin / then any other veggies, sprinkle some mixed herbs and salt and pepper, whisk together some eggs (depends on how big a pie to the amount of eggs you will need ) with a little milk or cream, pour mixture over the vegetable pie, sprinkle with some grated cheese and bake in oven on approx 180c for 45min / always check that veggies are nice and soft before serving. ( a nice flavour boost is sundried tomatoes - if you want to keep it vegetarian, or some diced crispy bacon)

Soup: one of the easiest things to make from scratch.

Pumpkin soup: 1 tbl oil
1 onion ( diced )
1 clove of fresh minced garlic ( optional )
pinch of tarragon
half to a full pumpkin ( peeled and chopped )
a couple of potatoes ( peeled and chopped )
1 ltr vegetable stock
salt and pepper to taste
150ml light thickened cream

heat oil, fry up onion and garlic, add tarragon, pumpkin and potatoes. stir through stock. Bring to the boil and then let simmer on low heat for approx 1/2 hr or until veggies are cooked through. Using a slotted spoon transfer as much of the cooked pumpkin and potatoes to a food processor, blend and then transfer back to the remaining soup.
add salt and pepper to taste and also some cream. stir and bring to a nice heat. - serve with warm crusty bread / or toast.
tip: if soup is too thick then it can be thinned with either a little water or more stock.

please refer to the soups recipe page for some more great recipe ideas.

Happy cooking,

Jen flower
LittleMissJen
LittleMissJen
Admin

https://familyfavourites.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Use it or loose it... Best tips on how to use up left overs and veggies.  Empty Re: Use it or loose it... Best tips on how to use up left overs and veggies.

Post  sammyantha Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:12 am

LittleMissJen wrote:Soup: one of the easiest things to make from scratch.

Pumpkin soup: 1 tbl oil
1 onion ( diced )
1 clove of fresh minced garlic ( optional )
pinch of tarragon
half to a full pumpkin ( peeled and chopped )
a couple of potatoes ( peeled and chopped )
1 ltr vegetable stock
salt and pepper to taste
150ml light thickened cream

heat oil, fry up onion and garlic, add tarragon, pumpkin and potatoes. stir through stock. Bring to the boil and then let simmer on low heat for approx 1/2 hr or until veggies are cooked through. Using a slotted spoon transfer as much of the cooked pumpkin and potatoes to a food processor, blend and then transfer back to the remaining soup.
add salt and pepper to taste and also some cream. stir and bring to a nice heat. - serve with warm crusty bread / or toast.
tip: if soup is too thick then it can be thinned with either a little water or more stock.

please refer to the soups recipe page for some more great recipe ideas.

Happy cooking,

Jen flower

mmmmmm num nums i I love you pumpkin and potato soup.............thanks for sharing Jen
sammyantha
sammyantha

Back to top Go down

Use it or loose it... Best tips on how to use up left overs and veggies.  Empty Re: Use it or loose it... Best tips on how to use up left overs and veggies.

Post  woolamaichick Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:27 pm

We often have left over roasts (especially lamb) the next night by making some gravy. Putting the sliced up meat in a casserole dish & pouring the gravy over it & covering it with foil. Then popping it in the oven until it's heated through. I normally serve it with mashed potatoes (must try some of Sammy's variations) & vegetables. My son (25) says this is the best meal I make. Says a lot for my cooking. Laughing
woolamaichick
woolamaichick

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down