Family Favourites Fan Club

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MumJ's Fasta Pasta

Go down

MumJ's  Fasta Pasta Empty MumJ's Fasta Pasta

Post  mumjej31 Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:39 am

This dish takes 1/2 an hour from the time you step into the kitchen to the time you sit down to eat. It's delicious, Low Fat for the calorie concsious, Quick, Easy and Vegan.

Serves 4 normal people, or 2 greedy pigs

Ingredients:

500g Linguine Pasta
800g tin of diced tomatoes
Enough water to rinse the tomato tin. this goes into the pasta sauce
2 tbsp of tomato paste
2 tbsp of Gourmet Garden Basil Blend. ( You'll find this in a tube in the herb section of the supermarket) You can use fresh basil if you like, around 1/4 cup of coursly shredded or chopped. I use the tube as it's cheaper in the long run. I hate throwing money in the bin, as you do when you don't use all the basil in one go.
1 medium to large onion, your preference here
2-4 cloves of fresh garlic crushed in a mortar and pessle, or finely chopped ( I use fresh garlic because it tastes a lot better than the garlic in jars. But if you'd rather save the time and use the jars, again it's your choice)
1-2 tsp of extra virgin olive oil
1 to 2 tsp of minced chilli, the jar stuff is fine.
Salt, Pepper to taste

To make Step by step
Put pot of well salted water on to boil for the pasta
Halve onion, and slice thinly but not too much so, across so that the cut onion slices look like a C
Crush or chop the garlic
Place onion, garlic and chilli into a pan and around half a cup of water along with the olive oil, cook on a medium heat until the water has reduced by half, and add another half cup of water, by the time this has reduced by half again, you will be ready to introduce the tinned tomatoes, the tomato paste and the rinse water from the tomato tin. Stir gently to incorporate all ingredients, and turn the heat down to a slow simmer.
By this time the water should be boiling enough to add the Linguine. Linguine should take 11 minutes to cook.
At around the 8 minute mark, at the Basil blend to the tomato sauce, and stir well, add salt and pepper to taste, if the sauce is looking a bit dry, add some of the pasta water and stir through.
When the Linguine is cooked, add the linguine directly to the sauce, and stir through.
Serve with plenty of Parmesan cheese, or tasty cheese as you prefer.
If this takes you more than half an hour I'll be very surprised.
Bon Appetit.
mumjej

mumjej31

Back to top Go down